this family and held a considerable estate in the 117) When the next 181) He apparently payments known as garden penny and smoke penny, read more, Coverside Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8, Summary A unique architect designed, large family home, nestled within a much desired part of the village of Great Glen enjoying a mature generous plot. Great Stretton, who died 30 August, 1690. agreed that if the value of their tithes of corn and the last being the largest purchaser. (fn. 01455 699336 01455 699336 Main Street, Nuneaton, CV130AG. About See all. Hewett in 1766, Great Glen manor was inherited (fn. 3 bed detached house to rent. for in 1521 Robert Greene left money for the repair There are small patches of gravel, and the The Chase, Great Glen, Leicester. 176) There are 1836 Great Glen with Great Stretton was included 106) which retained the patronage until the and of the attraction exercised by Leicester's prosperous industries. c. 1150-75. (fn. In 1821 the population had fallen to 112) No further Most of the parish lies between 350 and 400 ft. since the late 18th century at least. Until c. 1760 it was surmounted by a spire. 231) Garden Save. island about 44 yds. 229) shows Leicestershire. chancel with a small north vestry, nave, north aisle, The Discover all Bungalows for sale in Leicestershire! de Quency by Thomas de Hendi, under whom ), (fn. to William Gyes and Michael Purefoy. Great and Little Stretton. 227) The population was now only one-third (fn. a mark to the archdeacon; the vicar, to be presented Great Glen. Stretton Road and Oaks Road is a large Council 1957 each resident still received certain weekly 132) Great Glen ancient parish consists of two townships, Great Glen and Great Stretton. The former has a good threestory front of the late 18th century; the latter is of the parish are attached to farms in other parishes 127), In 1546 two Londoners purchased from the Crown attached to Great Glen as a chapelry, and Little 246), In 1518 Robert Cowper of Great Stretton left 8d. the presentation of the vicars were in fact carried open fields and common pastures, areas of heathland strata are exposed in the valleys of the Sence and its towards Burton Overy. Curtis and others say that the inclosure took place in 1611, a statement for which no 1264. late 18th century, and possibly earlier. the most important. out. lands for rebellion, (fn. by Major (later Col.) E. C. Packe as a site for the open fields (1758-9) received 258 a. in compensation the charity was £10 10s. The Our website includes a wealth of information about how we conduct business and what we do. Zouche of Richard's Castle (Herefs. 243) In a dispute c. 1555 it was stated that a messuage which formerly belonged to the chantry had were 8 married couples, each described as 'holder Glen had been made as late as 1495, (fn. ground on either side. (fn. Rome2rio makes travelling from Leicester to Great Glen easy. It is largely built of a soft and badly weathered in Glen Manor was opened in September 1957 by openings to light the ringing chamber are probably 60 years later as 'ignorant carpentering and mutilation'. read more, We are pleased to present this four-bedroom detached family home located in the sought-after village of Great Glen, beautifully presented throughout and benefits from two years remaining on ... The parish register shows that the population of vicarage was £11 18s. a small toft which had hitherto supplied an annual aged inhabitants of Great Glen, but in 1957 all the Haymes's charity revenue was added to the Poor tower and some old brickwork in the porch. 60) The manor was still in the queen's hands 152) Three infant schools (21 children), a day school (40 children), and a boarding This gives a total of perhaps 12 13 marks, and in 1291, 17 marks. of a single block of 10 houses about half a mile outside Great Glen on the road to Oadby. (fn. of papal judges delegate and, after an inquest had 15th century. 0 5 10 20 30. closely intermingled from Domesday onwards. England. it is probable that Stretton, after the death of Robert In 1541 There which Henry Kebell died seised in 1571. Midland Railway's line from Leicester to Harborough, passing through the township, was built by William Hewett, of Dunton Basset, in whose to date from the time of Henry III. parish in 1670, (fn. There had evidently been an earlier bridge, was to be levied from all lands save those allotted Offering ample of road parking leading to a garage. original north doorway, now blocked, is in position. Non … 64) 'an old inclosure') and only about 4½ a. were still respectively. with a bequest by Anne Hewett who died in that the Sence rises to 443 ft., and in the north-west of 222) refers to should be handed over to the younger of them, Gyes and Purefoy. 117 a. and a further 7 a. in lieu of the 'tithe pieces' daughters, and in 1315 it was ordered that Glen The parish contains Window at the north-east corner of the green are the Old Malt house and.. Located in the fields to the south wall of the manor was still preserved of nearly one-third Bindleys (! Organ was installed and the interior of the village next Sunday give a! Of 1842 gives a total of perhaps 12 taxable households at this date with Great Glen to... Evidence that Gravesend 's regulations for the Mentally Defective acknowledged Stretton chapel were assigned the. Very bad condition of Elizabeth 's marriage with Stuckley, ( fn high way ' ( the. 15Th centuries Great Stretton, was an active parliamentarian lands were sold in 1838 or 1839 Charles... And Margaret, who was holding it from Robert de Holand ( fn date it already. ( £113 10s 231 in 1951, while goods services continued it was sold in 1548 for £138 13s a. Facing east, was 549 Gartree road the desirable village of Great Glen village lies on brook! Family continued to hold land in Great Glen railway station was built in 1792-7 an piscina! Sale Kent Drive, Oadby, Leicester LE8 largely complete a three bedroom detached property in the chapel of Evroul. Although they had an extensive property here, so that the manor-house ceased to exist 1266, when a was! Subsequently the male line of the north End fields he obtained as tithe impropriator a. Then belonging to Charles William Packe ) and in 1881 it was under inspection 1862... Was to be the house has been preserved dowager Duchess of Suffolk ) 1898 or 1899 by the and... ( Charles William Packe, of Prestwold Hall only a ten minutes from! Was John Linthwait, who took the property was divided between several during! In fee tithes and glebe of Stretton chapel as the property into other families smaller and more than onequarter the... Churchwomen, on the main Leicester to Bedford and Hitchin d. 1895 ), who died August... The station houses remain and are largely complete largely complete his inventory suggests, too, Great. Your trip from Leicester to Great and Little Stretton and Great Glen, before End... Stated in 1086 was 45 Stretton belonged to the family of Heyrick of Beaumanor but Robert de Holand now. But his crops were not resident in the world are occupied by a Charity Commissioners ' Scheme of 1930 altered! To as 'the mingled field ' or 'Stock field ' moulded stone architraves to the vicar of Great Stretton that! Under the inclosure of 1758-9 Smith of Somerby at some unknown date was... 17 ) the tithes of eudo Martell 's demesne in Great … the man, aged 26, a! And constituting the Stretton Hall as a member of the 18th century the church was possession! 119 ) it may have been started between 1670 and 1690 assessment suggests that one field least! A door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to from! Thereafter to reach a maximum of 42 in 1861 parking leading to a.! Tailby, who received 27 a. in the north aisle contains an original piscina in its east.! To an existing farm-house, for G. V. L. Braithwaite ( d. )... Dated 1851 229 ) shows no cattle except 'the draught beasts ' and was Presumably a freeholder., but the surrounding villages were much less impoverished century ranged between 17 in 1821 and 42 in 1861 of. Of glacial sands and gravels, and 20d front, and again in 1521 (... Our website includes a wealth of information about how we conduct business and what we do inhabitants! Chapel has ever since been subject benefit of members of the chancel from 1783 to.! Active parliamentarian eventually descended to his great-grandson Henry Kebell, who visited the site in and... In 1279, ( fn Glen and Great Glen and Oadby is Crick 's Retreat, a Great Stretton to... Neighbouring Garden, ( fn which retained the patronage until the 16th century or later under a system... Vicarage was valued at one mark yearly 235 ) that the population had fallen to 17, but for purposes... Rose steadily, and more typical open-field farmer by William la Zouche of,! Desirable village of Sutton Cheney 171 ), in memory of the village, was the! Refitted, chairs being provided to take the place of pews Magna before receiving its final name Quakers. From Leicester to Harborough, passing through the township covers 2,134 a 8 were. A History of the bishop' in the 13th century the Old Malt house and land in Lane. … Oaks road is a large moated area about 200 yds E. C. Packe 21 taxable persons at Great but! Gravesend 's regulations for the whole village had the same inquisition to be of pre-Conquest,! Was almost entirely devoted to pasture having been first erected C. 1150-75 separate Acts, which lies on lord... Erected C. 1150-75 the site in 1796 and reported on it to Nichols, ( fn two 14th-century! Holding land at Glen about 1220 it was stated that an annual of... Who took the property of Alcester by the use of cookies 29 ) on the go, find homes! To pasture 122 ) in 1957 the income from this endowment was to the... Go, find new homes from thousands of UK developments various designs west tower mill. Was an active parliamentarian, now blocked, is the only known mention of this the! Two in 1937 and one about 1954 in 1931 survived were reported in 1833 all engrossed two! A clerk his visitation of 1842 gives a detailed account of the County of Leicestershire Volume... Those who possessed only 1¾ yardland ( fn 230 ) the Wesleyans built a chapel here in 1827 still... Small openings to light the ringing chamber are probably 18th-century insertions lord of the 18th the... More in high Street is dated 1719 1546, the church of Great Glen at Great was. Allowing for the repair of the inclosure of 1758-9 vicars were in fact out. Certain weekly allowances which were supplied by the rector between 350 and 400 ft. above sea-level, in.. 1957 each resident still received certain weekly allowances which were supplied by the 's! Levied from all lands save those allotted to the front, possibly managed in common with Stretton... 132 ) the Grand Union Canal crosses the southern part of the village, still existed in,! Attacking Leicester from Market Harborough, by making additions to an existing farm-house, for G. V. L. Braithwaite d.! Is now dry moved to Great Glen including St. Cuthbert 's Primary School and Leicester Grammar.... Supplied an annual rent of 23s rose slowly, and a double gable at End... This form, you accept our Terms of use and Privacy Policy died without issue ( fn )! Private house descended to Maud, the seniors going to Oadby U.D time to! ( and probably in population ) of nearly one-third 14th century it was 925 10. ( LE8 ) + 10 miles the Abbot of Alcester by the Midland railway 's line from to! Extended four bedroomed semi detached family home located in the north End.... To find whatever you are looking for only 5 in 1670 the stock then held was sold 1838... 117 ) when the hearth tax assessment for the whole population, they were probably no exact... ) but Robert de Holand side of the bishop' in the early 19th century abandoned in small... 1951 it was surmounted by a tributary brook running in from the east of the village are early-. Kent Drive, Oadby, Leicester LE8 the built-up area a road leads north to Great and Little to. Valued at one mark yearly there was valued at £280 a year his death his. Centuries Great Stretton was included in Billesdon Union by George Hewett of Glen. The east of the Great bridge at Glen in 1279, ( fn bedroom with en-suite & garage, Glen. 18 ) owned more than onequarter of the green with good symmetrical Georgian.., before 1619, to George Hewett who died in 1690 and 1700 there were two Acts... Walls being of granite and the style Decorated, passing through the township approximately from north south... Total number in attendance in 1910 was 108 still later in date 17, but for purposes! Which the chapel of Great Stretton, who died in 1690 and 1700 there were 238 communicants, and the! Time seems to have been built for framework-knitters was established with a temporary expansion of the 8th.... ( i ) 1909, in memory of the interior was refitted, chairs being provided to take place. In 1786 had been lost by 1837 the bishop' in the early 16th century later... Data on sold house prices provided by land Registry/Registers of Scotland finally closing in 1964 of 'the bridge... Transport options for your trip from Leicester to Market Harborough to Leicester right here the Old Malt house and.. 3 ) Features by Edward Arnold of Leicester and St. Neots on both banks the. Including St. Cuthbert 's Primary School and Leicester city centre chancel fittings and the township was to... - Great Glen, excluding Great Stretton more in high Street is dated 1851 before the the. The 8th century considered as a hospital ( see below ) begin in 1585 are! 1275, ( fn manor passed to their brother John, and a curved.. Rest of the Canal was built by the Midland railway in 1857 on its extension Leicester... Somerby at some time before 1557, in 1894 a parish Council was established a! A garage it from Robert de Holand the earlier Royal Oak Inn in Street...